Hello there. We are so glad you dropped in to find out more information about our upcoming trip through Greece and some of her surrounding islands.
Here are the fast facts you might be looking for concerning this trip:
If you want to ask any questions about this trip please send your inquires to… firstname.lastname@example.org
23 September to 07 October 2017.
$6,200 AUD. (There are some conditions listed below)
Primary trip leadership will be provided by Ryan Laden, the Senior Pastor of Warnbro Community Church (www.warnbro.org.au). Ryan has been leading trips like this for a long time and has led several successful trips to biblical sites in the last 5 years. References from past participants can be obtained by emailing email@example.com with this request.
Registration / Information
(Alternatively, paste the following into your browser – http://www.warnbro.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Greece-2017-Information-Pack-medium.pdf)
DAY 1: Saturday, 23 September
Depart Perth today on your Etihad flights to Abu Dhabi, see your individual itinerary for flight times. Upon arrival into to Abu Dhabi, transfer to your connecting Etihad flight, EY 91 to Athens departing at 8:20 am.
DAY 2: Sunday, 24 September
Athens Arrival – Thessaloniki
Arrive into Athens today at 12:45pm and transfer to domestic Aegean flight, A3 510 to Thessaloniki departing at 16:00. Upon arriving into Thessaloniki at 16:55 we will be met and transferred to our hotel for dinner and overnight in Thessaloniki.
Day 3: Monday, 25 September
Philippi – Kavala
Today we will we travel to Philippi and Kavala.
- Philippi, as its name implies was established by Philip II of Macedonia in 358 B.C. It was here that Octavian and Anthony defeated Brutus and Cassius, last defenders of the Roman Republic in 42 B.C.
- St Paul first arrived at Philippi around 50 A.D. It was one of the first European cities to accept Christianity. Here he delivered his first sermon and baptized the first Christian convert, Lydia, on European soil.
- We will view the baptismal site and visit a crypt dating from the Roman period that is thought to have served as a prison for Paul. We will also see the famous Acropolis, the Market Place, Basilica, and the Theatre.
- We will then travel onto Kavala, an ancient Neapolis. This was the main port of Philippi and where St. Paul accompanied by Silas, Luke and Timothy, first set foot in Europe and sowed the seeds of Christianity. Aside from the great panoramas of Kavala, the city has a Byzantine castle, aqueduct, and museum containing finds from Ancient Amphipolis and Philippi.
- Follow the Via Egnatia, remnant of Rome’s highway system, viewing Roman and Greek tombstones and ruts of ancient chariot wheels.
- We will return to our hotel for dinner and overnight in Thessaloniki.
Day 4: Tuesday, 26 September
Today we become acquainted with Thessaloniki.
- We will spend the morning exploring, coming across the White Tower, the Arch of Galerius, the Rotonda (the oldest of Thessaloniki’s churches), Aristotelous Square, the fortress and ramparts overlooking the city and its gulf.
- We also visit the Byzantine churches of St Sophia and St. Dimitrios, an early convert to Christianity martyred by the Romans.
- Dinner and overnight is in Thessaloniki.
Day 5: Wednesday, 27 September
Thessaloniki – Veria – Vergina – Kalambaka
Today will be a day trip to visit Veria and Vergina.
- The town of Verias dubbed “Little Jerusalem” for the many churches that are built across it. Here we will visit the Bema of St Paul where the Apostle stood and preached the Gospel to the Veroeans in 49 AD.
- Afterwards we will head to Vergina or ancient Aegae, was the first capital of the kingdom of Macedon. Although the capital was later transferred to Pella, Aegae remained the city where sacred rituals and ceremonies would take place.
- Here we will visit the very impressive site of the Royal Tomb of King Philip II, the father of Alexander the Great.
- Displayed within this tomb are the finds such as the gold ossuary with the 16 pointed Macedonian star, gold leaf wreaths, frescos and ornaments.
- Dinner and overnight is in Kalambaka.
Day 6: Thursday, 28 September
Kalambaka – Delphi – Meteora
- This morning we visit two of the Meteora Monasteries. They are amongst striking scenery, perched on sheer-sided rock pinnacles of varied and spectacular shapes. The buildings appear to be suspended in mid-air and have been an amazing sight since the 14th century.
- The monasteries contain beautiful Byzantine art and offer an insight into the world of the monks still residing there.
- Dinner and overnight in Delphi.
Day 7: Friday, 29 September
Delphi – Athens
- This morning we visit Delphi.
- In antiquity Delphi was known as the centre or the navel of the earth for it was believed that when Zeus released two eagles from opposite sides of the world they would meet in Delphi. It reached its height in power in the 4th century as the sanctuary to the god Apollo.
- Pilgrims would gather here to seek advice from the great oracle, Pythia, on various matters including waging wars.
- We explore the sanctuary by walking up the “Sacred Way” to see the treasuries, the theatre and the temple of Apollo.
- We will visit the museum of Delphi and marvel at the unique collection of artefacts from the excavation, including the bronze “Charioteer” one of the best preserved ancient works of metallurgy.
- Afterwards we will continue onto Athens for dinner and overnight.
Day 8: Saturday, 30 September
- After breakfast we will enjoy a full day of sightseeing in Athens including the Acropolis and Acropolis museum.
- A bus tour will guide us through the highlights of Athens; House of Parliament, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Presidential Palace, Panathenaic Stadium, Temple of Olympian Zeus, Hadrian’s Arch, to lead us to the world renowned Acropolis.
- We will walk through the architectural wonders of the Golden Age of Pericles; the Propylaia, the Parthenon and the Erechtheion.
- We walk to Areopagus or Mars Hill, the site where trials were heard before the Council of Elders and where St Paul delivered his speech to the Athenians.
- Our visit is not complete without a tour of the New Acropolis museum, which houses the findings of the Acropolis of Athens.
- We will return to our Athens hotel for dinner and overnight.
Day 9: Sunday, 1 October
Argolis – Corinth – Mycenea – Epidaurus
- Today will be a full day visit to Argolis, Ancient Corinth, Mycenea and Epidaurus.
- Our journey begins by crossing the Corinth Canal which separates Peloponnese from the Greek mainland.
- Ancient Corinth was one of the most important trading cities of ancient Greece dating back to the 6th century BC. Visiting the archaeological site we will come across the Temple of Apollo, the agora and the Peirene fountain.
- After we visit the Homeric city of Mycenae. Dating from 1600 BC, the Royal House of Atreus established a major military stronghold and kingdom ruled most notably by king Agamemnon who fought in the Trojan War mentioned in Homer’s Iliad and Odyssey.
- At the archaeological site of Mycenae we will see the remains of the prehistoric Acropolis, the Palace, the Grave Circles, the Lion’s gate, the Cyclopean walls and the famous beehive (tholos) tombs.
- The museum in Mycenea houses a beautiful collection of artifacts mainly from the excavation of the tombs.
- We will proceed to Epidaurus which was known in antiquity as a healing center, the place where the god of medicine Asclepius was worshiped.
- The ruins of the sanctuary include among other things: the Temple of Asclepius, the hospice and a stadium.
- We will visit the Theater of Epidaurus famous for its astonishing acoustics and one of the best-preserved classical Greek structures still being used for theatrical and musical performances.
- Afterwards we will head back to our hotel in Athens for dinner and overnight.
- A briefing will be held this evening to receive cruise documentation and information/costs regarding optional shore excursions whilst on board the cruise.
Day 10: Monday, 2 October
Athens – Cruise to Mykonos
- Transfer to the Port of Piraeus and board our ship, the Celestyal Olympia.
- Cruise to Mykonos and enjoy the evening in Mykonos.
- Return to the ship for dinner and overnight.
Day 11: Tuesday, 3 October
Kusadasi – Patmos
- Today there will be two shore excursions to enjoy (at no additional cost).
- In the morning, enjoy a shore excursion to Ephesus and the House of Virgin Mary.
- Then cruise to Kusadasi and enjoy a tour of Patmos where we visit the Monastery of St John and the Cave of Apocalypse.
- Dinner and overnight will be on the ship.
Day 12: Wednesday, 4 October
- Today we will travel to Rhodes and take an excursion to the Acropolis of Lindos and the Citadel of the Knights.
- Dinner and overnight will be on the ship.
Day 13: Thursday, 5 October
Crete – Santorini
- This morning we will be in Heraklion (Crete) with optional shore excursions available (at your own expense).
- In the afternoon we will move to Santorini with optional shore excursions available (at your own expense).
- Dinner and overnight will be on the ship.
Day 14: Friday, 6 October
Disembarkation – Athens Airport
- This morning we disembark from the ship around 7.30am.
- We will take a leisurely drive to Cape Sounion and make a brief visit to the ancient ruins at the temple of Poseidon.
- We will then proceed to Athens airport in time for your departure on Etihad.
- Upon arrival into Abu Dhabi please transfer to your connecting flight back to Perth.
Day 15: Saturday, 7 October
**Itinerary subject to change**
Costs for the Trip
The price for this trip has been set at $6,200 AUD.*†
This price is set based on the assumption that we will have a minimum of 20 participants.
Should we not reach this total number, the trip pricing will be as follows:
- 20+ participants – $6,200.00 AUD
- 15-19 participants – $6,500 AUD
- 10-14 participants – $7,000 AUD
- Fewer than 10 participants – All costing details will be requoted.
These cost differences reflect the discounts we receive for traveling as a larger group throughout the trip.
* All prices included in this section are for one participant who will share a room throughout the entire trip. See below for those wanting to have their own room.
† Price has been quoted using an exchange rate as of 18 July 2016. In the event of a currency fluctuation downwards of more than 3% the trip costs may be amended accordingly.
- Return economy airfares with Etihad Airlines: Perth – Abu Dhabi – Athens
- Current airport and departure Taxes (as of 11.15.16)
- Breakfast and dinner daily
- Transport by deluxe air-conditioned motor-coach
- All guiding and entrance fees
- Sightseeing as per confirmed itinerary
- All tips, port taxes, porterage and gratuities
On the Cruise
- Unlimited non-alcoholic drinks package
- Any 3 shore excursions at any of the ports of call during the cruise
Excluded Items – Not in Trip Cost
- Entrance/sightseeing/meals other than those in the itinerary
- Single supplement
- Travel insurance
- Incidental expenses of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, room service etc.
- Any services not listed in ‘Price Includes’ above
- Optional shore excursions during the cruise other than the package of any 3 shore excursions
*** It is important to note that this cost does NOT include any payment to Ryan Laden as the trip leader. Ryan gives his time and expertise for the good of the participants. This allows this trip to be priced as reasonably as possible.
For those not wishing to share a room during the trip the following extra costs may be paid to allow for a single room at whatever stage of the trip we are in.
- Single supplement: $975 AUD per person.
Additional costs will apply for those wishing special rooming considerations during the cruise portion of the trip. See the details below for more:
- Cruise Supplement for Outside Cabin per person (twin share): $295
- Cruise Supplement for Outside Cabin single supplement add another: $195
Registration / Travel
- Registration details may be accessed at the following website… http://www.warnbro.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Greece-2017-Information-Pack-medium.pdf
- Follow the direction on the form to lodge your interests.
- All needed documents (personal passport etc.) will need to be provided during the registration process and are the responsibility of each participant.
- The group must travel outbound together on the same flight to qualify for the group airfare included in the trip pricing.
- A booking deposit of $500 per person will be required by 20th December 2016.
- The balance payment is required by 15 July 2017. Banking details will follow.
- Any follow on travel can be arranged by Olive Tree Travel at a significant discount as your return flight can be amended in many ways to accommodate your additional travel plans. Contact Olive Tree with questions at:
Olive Tree Travel
Suite 1, Level 1, 230 Balaclava Rd
North Caulfield VIC 3161
PH: 03 8488 9696 or 1300 550 830
FAX: 03 9509 6700
MOBILE: 0413 016 772
ABN: 85 746 680 725